A file dialog in notepad:
A file dialog in Notepad++, with three more files:
This is what I've noted:
- I'm looking at the same directory
- Doing a 'dir' at the command prompt doesn't show the hidden files
- Doing a 'dir' at the command prompt run as admin doesn't show the hidden files
- Both processes are run as the same user
- From the file dialog in Notepad++ I can copy a hidden file, then paste it. It will show up in Notepad and other files.
- The files are visible to apache/php, as well, andwill be served.
- If I:
- click on an invisible file in notepad++
- select properties
- select security
- Click 'edit' to change security
- I'm told I don't have permission
- If I try to take ownership, it says the file does not exist:
The owner for the hidden files is the same as the person I'm logged in as. If I create a new file, it is created with that new owner and visible.
I can't see the invisible files running as admin either. Just Notepad++ and Apache can see them for some reason. I've got no idea how those processes are accessing the file system differently.